How to Choose a College – Our Top Tips
It’s a huge step when you decide to join a new college, but where should you start? There are so many different courses, colleges and choices that it can be overwhelming. But don’t worry – we’re here to help.
First of all, you should choose a college which offers courses which benefit you. Just because a college or university has a high ranking overall, it may not exceed in your field. Neither might it suit your needs personally regarding, for example, class size, individual learning support, or welfare services. So, don’t jump in head-first until you’ve done your research.
Open days and visits are a fantastic way to get a feel for the ambience and atmosphere at a college. Websites and online research can be a great starting point but if you’re still unsure, head down to the college and check it out for yourself. Prospective students are always welcome at The City College though it’s best to book an appointment so someone is available to meet you. Look at the facilities and ask a few of the students what they think of the place. This can be a great way to get first-hand college reviews from those with experience.
Think about not just what you can study, but:
• Have you read the course content description?
• Do you meet the enrolment requirements?
• Is the qualification fully recognised?
• Is the course at the right level for you?
• Does it meet the requirements for your intended career?
• Does it lead to a higher qualification if you want one?
• When you can study?
• Do you have financial independence?
• Will you need a student loan?
• Will you need to balance a part-time job?
• Can you study during work hours?
• How much time is spent in lectures?
• How many days are lectures spread over?
• What other priorities do you have?
We understand that our students all have different requirements, which is why our courses are staggered to start at different times throughout the year. We also offer both full-time and part-time courses, so you can balance your life around your studies.
Ready to learn more? Click here to discover which courses we offer and find the right one for you.